The Power of the Plate
Virginia’s Specialty License Plate
FRIENDS has a new look … at least on our iconic Virginia license plate in Virginia.
With our 2021 name change and expanded focus to embrace the communities of the Blue Ridge, we’re excited to launch our redesigned specialty license plate through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
For nearly a decade, FRIENDS and our chapters have benefitted from the funds raised by our plate. Just over the last 12 months, plate revenue has helped provide:
- A free summer concert series at Explore Park in Roanoke, featuring a host of popular and up-and-coming Appalachian musicians.
- Funding to finish three community playgrounds in Waynesboro, Explore Park, and Hillsville, where we’re also helping restore the historic Sidna Allen House.
- Volunteer support at the Blue Ridge Marathon and the Carilion Clinic IRONMAN 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
- Sponsorships for community events like the Smoke on the Mountain BBQ festival in Galax.
- And starting in 2023, plate revenue will support students each year with our recently established FRIENDS Founder Lynn Davis Scholarships as they pursue an environmental science path.
Join our legion of 10,000 friends in Virginia who have a FRIENDS of the Blue Ridge plate today!
This striking specialty license plate is part of the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) revenue-sharing program. $15 of the $25 plate fee (this is in addition to the registration fee) is transferred to FRIENDS of the Blue Ridge to support its operation and programs in Virginia. This portion of your fee may be tax-deductible, so save your paperwork and speak to your tax consultant. To apply for a plate, please visit the Virginia DMV website.